The Carrion Crown
Sir Andol Hollander
Hollander is a tall and powerfully built human. To his enemies he is an intimidating figure; to his allies he is a beacon of justice and hope.
Hollander is generally a serious person and keeps a stern and stoic attitude most of the time. He is the son of the Varisian nobleman Duke Jasper Hollander, and the last child of six boys. Hollander decided at a young age that he would not squabble with his brothers for whatever meager inheritance he could gain from his father and dedicated his life to a higher calling. He traded in his charmed life for one of hardship and training at the church of Pharasma; it was here that he became a paladin. Once his training was complete, he took what little he had and began his journey to the place he felt he could do the most good: Ustlav.
Through his travels, Hollander has had the opportunity to help many people however one of those happened to be a man named Professor Lorrimor. One evening Hollander was on the road when he heard a cries of battle and calls for help. He rushed to aid and found the professor, his guards slain, being set upon by a pack of roving zombies in the night. Hollander was able to slay the foul things and save the old man. Lorrimor promised Hollander he would never forget what he had done for him. Though Hollander thought that was kind, it was a promise he had heard before; that is why he was surprised to be delivered a letter inviting him to the professor’s funeral.
Hollander follows no specific god, but holds Pharasma in high esteem.
• I will learn the weight of my weapon. Without my heart to guide it, it is worthless—my strength is not in my weapon, but in my heart. If I lose my weapon, I have lost a tool. If I betray my heart, I have failed.
• I will redeem the ignorant with my words and my actions. If they will not turn toward the light, I will redeem them by the weapon.
• I will not be taken prisoner by my free will. I will not surrender those under my command.
• I will never refuse a challenge from an equal. I will give honor to worthy enemies, and contempt to the rest.
• I will suffer death before dishonor.
• I will never abandon a companion, though I will honor sacrifice freely given.
• I will protect my allies with my life. They are my light and my strength, as I am their light and their strength.
• I will seek out and destroy the undead. If I cannot defeat them, I will give my life trying. If my life would be wasted in the attempt, I will find allies and return to defeat them.
• The best battle is a battle I win. If I die, I can no longer fight. I will fight fairly when the fight is fair, and I will strike quickly and without mercy when it is not.
• My word is my bond. When I give my word formally, I defend my oath to my death.